Friday 18 July 2014

No Big Deal...

I am not saying these are old ideas but... 
Ugh, I hate talking about this kind of relevant and current news stuff. Mainly because everyone is talking and giving their opinions on it and I hate following the crowd, but at the same time, I do have my own opinions on these things as well and I should speak out. Especially on my little corner of speech here on Storm Watch, so with that out of the way, let's get started. So my fellow storm clouds, as you know Marvel dropped the massive spoiler news this week that in October we are going to be seeing some new faces behind our familiar heroes. Now I don't know which got more attention, but we have an all new female Thor and the mantle of Captain America will be taken over by the Falcon, so we will have a black Captain America. And someone is going to take over Tony Starks mind, I think, it is really hinted in the name Superior Iron Man. But that is speculation really at the end of the day. The world of Marvel and that of the Avengers will be a different one for sure. So what do I think of all this big news...?

Honestly, my first thought is, well that would have been an amazing reveal. Now that magic is lost for news and publicity. Is it worth it? Probably. They make news to bring in new readers, not this Chilean geek who goes to the comic book stores like it's church. And honestly, I get that. So while it sucks to have surprises revealed, it's not going to make me any less of a comic book fan.

So what of the characters and the new roles that have been presented...?

Thor: Why is this news? This already happened, years ago, Earth X anyone? (I review that book awhile back, click here for that review) Or even Thor Girl? And even the What If issue with Jane Foster had Mjolnir. This is something I have seen already, so it's not that big of a deal. I think it's awesome though, and she is going to be great to see kicking ass, a female character with such great power, it will be good for young female readers. As for me, I can't wait to see what kind of adventures she will be in, and also who it is holding the legendary hammer. 

Captain America: Patriot anyone? Or what about the entire point of the series, Truth: Red, White & Black. Again, having an African American male take the role of Captain America is not a new idea, so long time comic book fans shouldn't be surprised. However if Chris Evans is the limit of your Cap knowledge, well then yes, this would be a big deal to you. But I think this is going to be really good for the character of Sam Wilson, The Falcon, as the character has been around for a long time and only now is getting some good spotlight. So a big thumbs up to that. 

Iron Man: The fact that this one has not been spoiled completely makes this the most interesting of all the heroes at the moment. Everyone is assuming that Tony Stark will be taken over by something or someone, much like Spider-man was during the run of Superior Spider-man. So it will be interesting to see if Marvel is going to take this approach as well. But who knows, it could be anything or anyone under the armour, so only time will tell. I just hope this can stay a secret. 



So there you have it, my take on the current news of the upcoming new bold direction by Marvel comics. I am a really big Marvel fan, it currently takes up 75% of my new comics and I can't wait to see what they do with these characters. Although the bigger question is, when are we going to get a new Young Avengers book? Well that is my question at least. But what are you guys thinking, do you like these changes or did you want to see something bigger and bolder? Let me know in the comments below. And remember to like and tell your friends about this little blog here, trying to expand here and all that. Until then, keep it tuned here and keep chasing the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment