Wednesday 25 June 2014

Wicked + Wicked

First off, a big thank you to my boy Toby for finding this book and getting it for me, you rock man! Give him a follow and check out his stuff over on his Tumblr page


That being said, I finally got my smelly sweaty Latino fingers on this issue (it gets pretty hot here in the Toronto summer)! And if you know what the big buzz in the comic book world has been then you could probably guess, that I am talking about the latest project from Kieron Gillen and Jaime McKelvie, from Image comics, The Wicked + The Divine! I will admit, that when I just heard about this book and the concept, I got hyped. I was a really big fan of the latest run of Young Avengers by this incredible creative team, while it wasn't without a few rough edges, I really liked what they did with the new characters introduced into the team, like Miss America and Kid Loki. So naturally I couldn't wait to see what they would do here, in a world with young Gods who walk the Earth but only live for two years after they adapt their power. Live young, die fast. A very interesting topic, especially when dealing with teenage characters.

After giving it a read, I got to say, I am impressed. It feels that with these brand new characters and world, Kieron and McKelvie are able to be more free and creative with many of the elements and themes presented in the story. The first issue presents us this incredible concept in this world, but left me very curious and wondering about many of the elements and possible rules to all this, which is a good thing, I really can't wait to see what goes down in issue two. I don't want to give too much away as far as story goes, but I can tell you that it is worth picking up, believe the hype my friends! A more mature concept allows for some awesome page turning moments of "holy crap" and "that's fantastic". The flow of the entire book felt like it would be perfect to watch as a movie or an ongoing HBO kind of show, and here is hoping we do get to see that. And while I feel that a much older audience won't really understand this book and it's theme, the new generation of comic book fans who enjoyed Runways, Ultimate Spider-man and of course, Young Avengers, will no doubt love everything about this book. So if that is you and you haven't picked it up, go out and get it! Although a lot of the first run copies may be sold out, check out one of the second run that should be in stores soon. For those in the GTA still looking, try Gotham Central comics and Stadium Comics as well, I know Gotham will have copies of the Eh!Variant, done by the talented art warrior, Mike Rooth! 


That's all the time I have for now, off to another day of work! Got a lot to do this week and this weekend, we got World Pride celebrations here in the city, I will be doing Jace Wars on Saturday, the World Cup is going into the next rounds, and I will also be kicking off July Well Spent over at Silver Snail! We don't stop, cause we can't stop. So I got to get out of here, but I will be back, be sure to plug and comment away on this and all my blogs, I will see you guys and gals later! Keep chasing the storm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment