Monday 23 June 2014

My Comic Pile...

There comes a time in every geeks life when he has to look down at the piles on the floor and at the boxes in the corner and say to himself, "holy crap, I've got a lot of comics to read!" And I do, like a lot of them. I was just organize a few that were out of my collection, bag and boarding a few loose comics as well, when I realized that I have a lot of books that I still need to read. Which isn't a bad thing, it's actually really cool when I think about it. One of my problems may stem from the fact that I want to get more comics and try to catch up with more current ongoing series. The life of a comic book geek. But I figure I have this floor to speak and well I guess I should use it to talk comics! More reviews and thoughts on all these amazing magical books that I have collected over the years. The only thing is though, part of me wants to cover the indy comics, give light to those who need and share my with you guys, help out friends here as well. But I really enjoy the big company books, like Marvel and DC Comics and hell even stuff from Image and Dark Horse. So the only question is, what do I first?


So I am going to start off with this bad boy that I just finished a few weeks ago, Earth X! From Marvel, by the incredible team of Alex Ross, Jim Krueger and John Paul Leon, Earth X is based in an alternative future for the Marvel universe, but with many elements ground in the early days of Marvel to help paint a creative and different kind of future. How different? Well for one, everyone on the planet has now gained some form of super power and/or mutation. So how good is a super hero when everyone is super? Powers never defined heroes in the first place though, and it shows us here very early on with Captain America. Literally wearing the red, white and blue across his chest, we see that Rogers is still fighting for that old world, but he is older and tired from all the wars, when does it stop? We see an older and fatter Spider-man, who has a daughter who has taken the mantle as city web swinger. We see the Inhumans, looking for a lost member of the royal family in a world much similar to their own. Everyone you know and love has been altered in some shape or form in this world, and everyone is trying to find their own explanation to all of this. All the while, Machine Man has been tasked by a blind Watcher to take up his role and be witness to what will happen next to this new Earth. 

The imagination of this book alone is reason to check it out, but this story is absolutely incredible! The scale of things grows each chapter, and it always awesome to see what has happened to all our favourite Marvel heroes and villains! I can't believe it took me this long to finally get this book but I am glad I did! As a story, Earth X is one that gets you reading and reading, just to find out what's going on and to see what's going to happen next. That being said, while the art is strong, it's not the best looking book I have seen. The character designs by Ross are incredible though, I guess it would have been too much to ask to have him draw the entire book as well. But the art does work really well for the story, it never becomes a problem, a lot of great panel work and some incredible splash pages as well. All in all, it makes for an incredible epic that all comic book fans should take a look at, it's a reminder on why we love comics in the first place. I know the story continues in Paradise X and Universe X, but strictly as a stand alone book, Earth X should be part of everyone's collection. 


So there you have it, my review on Earth X. I could go into depth on each issue and each character, behind the symbolisms of each characters design and purpose in this world, but it would take a whole blog for each character, not to mention massive massive spoilers to those who have yet to read it. But I also have a busy day ahead of me, going to be working late getting ready for Pride week and also going to be watching my team, Chile play against the Netherlands! I can't wait for that! Well let me know what you think of Earth X and what kind of book you want me to look at next, I've got tons to choose from, so comment below! Much love to you all, and keep chasing the storm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment