Friday 19 July 2013

Sweet Adventure Time

What time is it? Well it's certainly is Adventure Time! But today's AT book is not exactly following the adventures of our well known loveable heroes, Finn the human and Jake the dog. This time around we are following the adventures of the Peppermint Butler and Cinnamon Bun, as they are tasked by Princess Bubblegum to find Finn and Jake after they seemed to have gone missing. And with two of the funniest character in the candy kingdom teaming up to solve the case, what could possibly go wrong? Well there's a good chance that absolutely everything, but when it comes to Adventure Time that usually means a lot of fun and hilarity as well.


Adventure Time: Candy Capers is the brand new release from Kaboom! comics  and was released last week. The team behind this story is the dynamic duo of Ananth Panagariya & Yuko Ota, from the Johnny Wander webcomic fame. The writing is hilarious and still stays to the well known AT kind of beat, with a lot of quotable lines from, "Let's destroy problems" and "I sweat when I'm nervous".  It's a joy to read and see how the story will play along. It goes without saying to any fans of Johnny Wander, get this book. You won't be disappointed, it leaves you with a big smile with every page, a great read. The art is handled by Ian McGinty, who keeps the look as we know the series and adds to it, making unique panels and capturing a lot of silly faces. Needless to say the art and writing go hand in hand and make for a very great time, I wish they would make this into an episode on the series. It's that good in my opnion, I honestly can't wait to see what is going to happen next. 

I guess if I had to make any kind of complaint, it seems a bit of a stretch but this is going to be a limited series and so it will be only six issues. But I have that complaint a lot with really good limited series, I always want more and more of these great runs. However, if the series gets a good reception, we could see more work from this team on other Adventure Time books in the future. Fingers crossed here. I am curious to see how the story will play out, but I doubt it will be a let down. But I will say this, don't dismiss Adventure Time or this books as something directly geared to younger audiences, it's a very smart, witty and silly series for everyone to enjoy. So for sure get this book today, it's a great sweet little break from grim and gritty in your comic book reading.


That's all the time I got right now, thanks for reading and remember to subscribe to this blog to follow all kinds of comics news and reviews and inside look at the world of comic books. Also be sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram, by following @ChileanStorm. I am also on YouTube, doing Time Well Spent on the Maddsketch channel and also doing my own Storm VLOG videos, so please subscribe to our channel, give a like and leave a comment. And be sure to like the Spent Pencils page on Facebook, one like goes a long way. I am ChileanStorm, and remember to chasing the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment