Thursday 5 February 2015

That Thing with the Laser Swords...


Star Wars is back, whether you like it or not, it has taken over again. And while I can and completely understand how someone could potential not be a fan of Star Wars, I ask this, how can you not be a Star Wars fan?  Okay Jar Jar was awful and the prequels for the most part sucked, but there is so much to love about the Star Wars universe, from bounty hunters to the jedi and sith, the deep lore of this galaxy as well is absolutely fascinating. And as anyone who lives on the internet already knows, The Force Awakens is set to release this December and will not doubt be the biggest hyped movie event of the year. And how else do you keep the legion of fans occupied until then, comic books that's how! Disney and Marvel have teamed up and have launched a few Star Wars series for fans to see stories that take place in between the original trilogy, one book focuses on Princess Leia and another follows Darth Vader. The one I got was one that plays out like a movie of sorts, following the whole casts of heroes from A New Hope. We get Luke, Leia, Han Solo, R2-D2, C-3PO and most importantly, Chewbacca! Love that Wookie. But yeah, we get to see the Rebellion in action against the Empire, a whole slew of adventures before Empire Strikes Back. Which while we are here and on the subject is without question in my mind, the best of the Star Wars films and will be hard pressed to be beat anytime soon. So without further delay, let see if this book is worth all the hype and the avalanche of variants as well (I heard they had about 60 variants for this issue alone). 


While I am a big Star Wars fan, I can't say I am a Star Wars wizard...or jedi in this case. I love the movies, the games and practically everything in between but I don't have the religious kind of devotion to it like some of the fans do, and these are the fans who know EVERYTHING about Star Wars. So I can imagine if anything is even slightly off or out of characters, they will be the first ones to tell you. I got to say, I had a blast reading this one! As a Star Wars fan, I felt that it was handled properly and added some kick ass moments as well, things we didn't get to see in the movies. And it never felt like it was trying to be something more or something different, it kept that classic movie feel to it all.  Written by Jason Aaron, who has been doing some great work with Thor for some years now, he writes all the characters we know and love like the characters that we know and love. This isn't a writer or a creative team deciding new directions or changing the plot up in a ridiculous way, this feels like a Star Wars comic. And thanks to John Cassaday the book looks great, we get to see all are favourite actors back in character and without the wrinkles. There is something timeless about a young smug looking Harrison Ford isn't there? The planets look great as do all the different ships and aliens, everything remains as you would imagine it would and it helps keep that authentic feel to the whole experience.

And while I don't want to nit pick on some of the story elements or anything like that, I will hold my tongue until the next issues. I still had a great time reading this, and I am looking forward to seeing what they do with this story and where it goes. I want to see more Chewbacca kicking ass moments and I would love to see some Boba Fett in the future issues. Yes, I am a Boba Fett fan. With that in mind, give this book a shot if you are a Star Wars fan for sure, you'll love it. If you aren't a fan, nothing here for you, I doubt a comic book will change your mind on a movie franchise. 


Have you guys had a chance to read this issue yet? Did you love it or hate it? Are you a Chewbacca fan as well? Leave a comment below and let me know if you will be following the different Star Wars series from Marvel comics. That's all the time for today guys, thanks again for reading and be sure to check out past posts as well, I take a look at the current Batman issues from DC Comics and I also shared my thoughts on AXIS: Avengers & X-Men. Plenty to read and plenty more to write as well, until then keep chasing the storm! 

Hey guys, be sure to follow these great pages as well. You can find a lot of great comics and great clothing as well, a lot of stuff that I have been working on and people I have been working with…

Twitter: @ChileanStorm
Instagram: @ChileanStorm
Clothing Line: http://captainzinc.com/

Check it out, tell your friends and be a storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment