Friday 23 January 2015

Editorial: Kill'em All Dead...


There is an old saying...

"The Lord Giveth and the Lord taketh away. 
Blessed be the name of the Lord."

This is Marvel comics today in a nutshell. For every Agent Carter, Avengers 2: Age of Ultron and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl,  you get a company that is very fast and harsh at taking away from the fans. The first family of comics is getting axed, Wolverine is dead and X-Men books are becoming a rarity. And earlier this week I found out that the merc with a mouth is next up on the chopping block, Marvel has decided to kill Deadpool. Arguably the most popular character in comic books today, another series and character that is getting the plug pulled (or pool closed in this case...cause you know Deadpool) because movie rights. And please, just own up to it, you want all your properties back, just say it. I am sick and tired of hearing that these decisions have nothing to do with the movie properties and rights, stop pissing in my ear and telling me it's raining! Marvel is ruining years of stories and characters, for what? Another million on top of that billion dollar box office sales. For crying out loud, Ant-Man is going make you a million dollars! The guy who rides ants is going to make you money! But fuck it, what do fans know? What do I know? I bought AXIS...all nine issues. If disappointment was made into a comic book.


And this is also coming off the news of a Deadpool movie announcement, filming will be in Vancouver later on this year and according to sources, Ryan Reynolds is back as the loud mouth assassin! That is really cool, if they can confirm a rated R rating, I think we can safely say that we will be set. 

Marvel has revealed as well what is going to be going on in the upcoming Secret Wars event. Think multiple universes brought into one world, every single version of all of our favourite heroes, and then they all duke it out until one remains. Like Highlander, there can only be one! Like Royal Rumble, 30 men in the ring and only one gets to main event at Wrestlemania (Let's go Cesaro)! Or like my personal favourite, Lemongrab...


Here is hoping that I am wrong, that this is all smoke and mirrors to a bigger plot secret. While I am not exactly counting down the days to be reading Secret Wars, I will probably be picking it up as it comes out, mainly on pure curiosity of the whole show. Who knows, it could be a beautiful oblivion. And I can guarantee you that it won't be anywhere near as bad as AXIS, you can't even try to be worst. When I read a comic as rushed and as messy as AXIS, trust me, I will let you know. In the meantime, Remender, quit your day job or go back to writing Uncanny X-Force...that was actually a pretty awesome team. 

So I don't know about you, but this bitter sweet pill is getting harder to swallow. But hey, maybe I am old. Perhaps a bit jaded. Or both. Regardless, let me know what you think about the news from Marvel this week, what did you think about all this? Also Deadpool fans, if you've got the Marvel App on your smartphone, they have the first issue of Deadpool Kills Deadpool up for FREE. A really fun and bloody good time, and at no costs a great time to go back and read it up! Going to be drawing a lot this weekend, I am also looking for more work in general. Things are looking bleak if we are talking about my bank account and all the money that isn't there. But I am going to be fine, come hell or high water, I am going to find a way through all of this. Thanks for taking the time to read this up, until the next one, keep chasing the storm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment