Wednesday 3 September 2014

The Moon Must Die...


It needs to be said, Marvel Knights kick ass. Daredevil, my favourite comic book hero of all time sets the bar high for all comics and represents the Marvel Knights proudly, The Punisher is the ultimate vigilante of all time, Ghost Rider is a hero who punishes evil and makes sure they go straight to hell (woah right) and Moon Knight...well he's insane. No, like for real insane. Multiple voices in my head kind of crazy. Rip your enemies face off kind of crazy. God worship kind of crazy. But most importantly, my kind of crazy. Moon Knight is another one of those heroes who most people either love or have never heard of, I really started getting into these books when they relaunched with David Finch as the lead artist, I remember asking my brother to wait in line for me to pick up the first issue and get it signed by Finch as well (thanks Fernando) and I still have that issue until this day, one of my treasures in my collection. But today I am going to take a look at the collections of issues dealing with what happens when the goverment decides to step in and take Marc Spector, the Moon Knight, out of the game for good. And if S.H.I.E.L.D can't catch you, then the Thunderbolts will kill you. Today we take a look at Moon Knight: The Death of Marc Spector, collecting issues 21 to 25 of Moon Knight and the Silent Knight one shot as well. And don't you worry, there will be blood. 

So what happens in an post Civil War world, with Iron Man and S.H.I.E.L.D trying to stop all unregistered super heroes and a crazy multiple personality hero out on the loose. You do the only logical thing and call in the Thunderbolts, a team of hired villains and psychopaths used to bring anyone who goes against the government. And did I mention this team is being run by Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin. You also have world class crazies like Bullseye, Moonstone and Venom on the team as well. Fight fire with fire I guess. So it's a race to see who can stop or kill Moon Knight first, that's if anybody can put the white knight down. As we see even alone, with out any allies, Marc is still working away as a vigilante. And when the Thunderbolts come knocking, Moon Knight knocks back, in some the coolest fight scenes, especially when he kicks Swordsman's sorry ass all over the pages. A particular panel with Moon Knight kneeing him right in the face is absolutely incredible, a Marvel moment in my books. And the show down with Bullseye is really good as well, would love to see these two fight again sometime. And how does it all end up? With an ending that makes a lot of sense, in the insane upside world of this dark comic of course. I highly recommend this collection. 


The gritty tone of the story fits in the pages with the art and dialogue moving it along nicely, although I would have loved to see more fighting and perhaps some longer fights between all these characters, I think this could only have been done if this was a crossover story with the run of Thunderbolts as well. But for what you do get, it's pretty incredible. One of the things I loved most about this collection though were the covers by Arthur Suydam, some incredible painted covers showing Moon Knight facing off against Venom or Bullseye, some really cool work. I would as well highly suggest readers to start at the beginning of this series run to have a better understanding of the current story being told, otherwise you would think Iron Man is just being mean or something. But regardless it still holds as a really good dark super hero story, and good reason to get into Moon Knight. 

Another thing to point out before I go, is that I got this graphic novel book over at my local comic book store, Excalibur comics! You can get a points card, collect point and redeem for a selection of different graphic novels or comics, it's a great deal for crazy comic book fans...like me. So if you are in the Etobicoke area or if you are looking for a classic comic book store in Toronto, check them out. That's all the time I have for today, but I will be back with more comic book related blogs and reviews. Don't forget to comment below, share and subscribe to the page! Until then keep chasing the storm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment