Thursday 13 March 2014

What the Heck?!

Okay so first off, this is kind of my response or feelings towards this article, so please click here and give it a read. But the long story short, an 11-year kid in Winnipeg goes to a Jets versus Islanders game to see his favourite team, the New York Islanders, rocking his favourite player jersey, John Tavares. Basically he gets heckled out of the freaking building. A kid. A kid who just wanted to enjoy the game for all it's worth and for all the magic. But no, instead he gets heckled by some extremely rude individuals and probably doesn't have a great night. However, reading about this story from home (due to a knee injury), John Tavares decided to send over some things over to this young fan, including an autographed jersey as well. Amazing, that is a beauty of a player. And it helps this young fan still retain faith in the game.


So what do I feel about all this? I feel like this is something that takes place way too often! And quite frankly I am sick and tired of hearing about it. Can we not allow others to just enjoy the game? Seriously though, we need to cut all this heckling crap out of the arenas and out of the game. Sure we can have rivals and opponents and discuss points on one and others team, but all with respect for one and other. Look, I take shit almost on a daily basis for being a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. A team that has not won the Stanley Cup in over 40 years, a team that has been mismanaged for years and a team that just recently got out of some dark rebuilding years. So why am I Maple Leafs fan? I don't know, cause blue and white looks good on me. Or maybe because I like maple syrup on my pancakes. Or maybe because I was born in Toronto and I have strong memories of growing up here and watching the team fly and heroes like Doug Gilmour, Mats Sundin and Curtis Joseph take the city on a wonderful hockey ride. This is my team. That being said, don't shit on me for it. I know this teams faults and I know what we have done and what we haven't done. I hear it so often, a groan and possible eye rolls at the sight of the blue or white leaf on any piece of clothing that I have. I have no hate for any team in the league, nothing but respect to be honest. When the Maple Leafs play, of course I am counting to cheer for my team to win, but I am not going to be a spiteful and hateful person to others just because our teams are playing. Being a dick isn't going to make your team any better. And let me make one thing clear here, I have seen Maple Leafs hecklers and that pisses me off as well. Because here is the thing, I respect the hell out of the Montreal Canadiens. I really do. This teams has so many legendary players and teams, and let's face it, probably the greatest team ever assemble on ice. The Ottawa Senators, a great rival as well. Some of the best Maple Leafs memories have been against the Sens, a team that gives us more hockey in Canada and Ontario, and an organization that has had it really hard being stuck in between the Habs and the Leafs but that have remained strong and created their own identity. The Boston Bruins, the guys who dropped the Leafs off the playoffs after being down in the third period. Another legendary team that has been consistently strong, the Bruins are the team that everyone wants to look like. I don't think I am a unicorn, I am just a guy who loves to watch the game of hockey and I appreciate all the history and aspects of the game, including all the many teams and fan bases. And I think we can do that too, cheer for our teams and enjoy a beer next to a guy in the opposite team jersey. 


So that's my take on this little topic, with just a handful of games left in the regular season it's almost time for the playoffs, and that means games get more and more intense. But regardless who takes the cup this year, let's all sit back and enjoy the show. Less hate, more mates. This has been the ChileanStorm on hockey, keep your head up and your stick down and always chase the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment