Tuesday 4 June 2013

Be Brave:

It's been a long time coming and I was due for a visit, so tonight I decided to get my tools and go down to Rhino bar, to take part in the Toons On Tap life drawing sessions. For those who are unfamiliar with Toons On Tap, it's a life drawing session that is open for all artist in the city, and they get to draw models who are dressed up as well known comic book or cartoon characters. Tonight's session was Merida from Pixar's Brave. And these models really do look the part, you need to see it to believe it.

Life drawing is one of the many different aspect of my art experience that I need to improve upon and spend more time with, and this is the perfect chance to do just that. It's something I haven't had the chance to put much time in to this practice and tonight I made sure not to miss out. I did get there a few minutes late, little did I know it would be such a full house, which is awesome to see. I am honesty blown away and so happy to see a very strong art community here in Toronto (Crack-head mayor and all). If I can saying anything about drawing, it's always fun to do, but it's great with other artist. A lot of talent in the room as well, from different styles and different methods, an awesome variety in the room.

Needless to say after three hours of drawing I got a lot of work to show, so it goes without saying here are some of my studies from the night...





 



 

Another cool idea that takes place at the end of the night at Toons On Tap, the character model gets to pick out her favourite drawing from the various artist and that artist gets to take home a prize. So at the end of the night you present your best work and see how it goes. The model tonight, Merida, was so amazed by all the work she had asked if she could keep the art if the artist didn't want them. I thought that was a very cool idea, so I gladly gave my piece for her to keep. It looks like she really liked it, and I am very pleased to share my work with others.


An awesome night that I highly suggest other artist in the city of Toronto check out, and for those in other cities, I am sure there are many different similar practices taking place in your city, so by all means find them and get drawing. A big thanks to Toons On Tap for organizing these events, to tonight's model, Adrianna, you were fantastic. The  next session for Toons On Tap is on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 and it will be back at The Rhino Bar. I will be posting links below as usual, so if you are interested by all means check it out. Also let me know what you think of gesture and life drawings, what do you do for practice? Let me know in the comments below. And don't forget to check out Spent Pencils page and like our Facebook page as well, to keep track of all SP related news. Another page in a very artsy life, thanks for reading guys and gals.


Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment